Eurodad-Glopolis International Conference 2013
Debt, finance and economic crisis – consequences and solutions hosted by European Network on Debt and Development and Glopolis.
Venue: Hotel Pyramida / Prague, Czech Republic
Start: Monday, Jun 03 2013 2:00 PM
End: Wednesday, Jun 05 2013 5:00 PM
Theme: Debt, finance and economic crisis – consequences and solutions
Find out more and “register now“:http://www.amiando.com/EurodadIC2013.html?page=907935. Please note that there is a special early bird offer valid till the 10th of March – which will save you € 100!
There will be space for organising seminars and workshops. Please let us know if you have any ideas or if you would like to take the lead on organising a seminar.
About the conference
The Eurodad biennial conference is a leading forum for discussion, idea-sharing and collective strategising for civil society groups advocating for reform of development finance. The Eurodad conference will bring together leading civil society thinkers from around the globe working on issues ranging from debt, tax justice, aid, private finance, the International Financial Institutions (IFIs) and global monetary reform.
Held at least every two years for over a decade, the conference allows Eurodad members, allies and partners to broaden understanding of key issues, identify and move forward on collective struggles, forge new alliances and meet inspiring people. Experts from academia and other leading thinkers will provide additional stimulus, and allow us to break out of our traditional habits when strategising and planning for the future.
Invited speakers include:
- Alan Cibils, Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento in Buenos Aires
- Cephas Lumina, United Nations Independent Expert on the effects of foreign debt and other related international financial obligations of States on the full enjoyment of all human rights, particularly economic, social and cultural rights.
- Costas Lapavitsas, Professor of economics at SOAS, University of London.
- Eric Toussaint, Belgian political scientist and historian, president of the Committee for the Abolition of Third World Debt CADTM, member of the International Council of the World Social Forum.
- Ha Joon Chang, Cambridge University. Author of numerous books, including Kicking away the ladder, and Bad Samaritans. The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism.
- Jan Aart Scholte, Professor at University of Warwick.
- José Antonio Ocampo, Professor at Columbia University, former Minister of Finance, Colombia.
- Mah-Hui Lim, South Centre, former banker and academic, author of Nowhere to Hide: The Great Financial Crisis and Challenges for Asia.
- Maria Lucia Fatorellci, Coordinator of Citizen Debt Audit-Brazil since 2001.
- Ondřej Liška, Former Czech Minister of Education.
- Oscar Ugarteche, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, author of various books, including The False Dilemma: Globalization: Opportunity or Threat?
- Paul Mason, Economics editor of the BBC’s Newsnight programme and author of several books.
- Tomas Sedlacek, Charles University, Prague, economic advisor to President Václav Havel. Author of Economics of Good and Evil, a bestseller in the Czech Republic.
- Yuefen Li, Head debt and development finance branch UNCTAD.
The current public debt crisis compromises development objectives and poverty eradication across the world. The main objective of the conference is to move from discussion of root causes to focus on solutions. What needs to be done to overcome the current crisis and create a system where debt helps to oil the wheels of the economy instead of bringing it to a halt? What should be the roles of the state and the private sector in overcoming debt crises and creating alternatives? How do we need to change our thinking and economic structures to prevent future crises?
Read the full concept note “here”:http://eurodad.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/THE-DEBT-CRISIS_Eurodad_Glop_FINAL3.pdf
Full agenda is available “here”:http://eurodad.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/agenda-for-the-website.pdf
Contact EURODAD for any other information: “assistant[at]eurodad.org”:mail:email@example.com, +32 2 894 4640.